Thursday, September 8, 2011

Little Miss o's Hospital Adventures

I was at work yesterday, when I got a call from mrs. h that little miss o had hurt her wrist. Yesterday also happened to be the first day of our new insurance, so my first concern (surprisingly, it wasn't for o's safety, probably because I could hear her crying in the background) was quickly resolved. I asked mrs. h to describe what had happened, and it sounded to me like o had dislocated her elbow more than hurt her wrist. Mrs. h made an appointment with a doctor's office for later that evening - right about the same time I'd be getting off work. I was able to meet them there. It was a bit of a wait before o was seen. We (mr. c was with us, too) passed the time reading all about the horrors of otitis media, and looking at pictures of the inner ear (thanks, antibiotics vendors!). When o was seen, it was confirmed that she had dislocated her elbow, and that it had reduced after mrs. h tried to check her wrist. No big deal.

On a personal note, I've liked spending time in hospitals with my daughter. I don't like that she has to be there, but I like how she burrows into me when she's scared, and how much she slows down when she doesn't feel well. She's always so fearless and outspoken, it's interesting to see a vulnerable side, and fun to be the person she clings to when she feels that way. My boys don't do that with me.

Too much touchy-feely.

When we got back, c&p called (heh, See and pee...) on skype. Mrs. h and P did all the talking. C and I just tried to one up each other with video antics, until our wives got sick of dealing with us and pulled the plug. We only defaced one church magazine before they ended it. Probably a record.

4 comments:

Singin' Heart said...

That was a lot of fun!! When we got off I realized that we were talking for 1 1/2 hours. It almost felt like hanging out in person. Except nothing can ever top hanging out in person.
You beat me to posting. I was thinking of doing a shout out to you guys ;)

Alissa said...

just for the record, my 3 year old has had nursemaid's elbow (the common name) four or five times. I always put it back myself. There's a video on YouTube. That's what happens when you have five kids. You trust youtube videos with your child's health.

merelyLooking said...

What is it with you guys and accidents lately! (Mom just asked me how I felt about you getting hit by a car. WHAT!? Glad I'm finding out about that after the happy ending...)

"Hey, let's be careful out there." (Name that show)
And tho you don't belong to me anymore, I do have considerable stock, so button up your overcoat :)

h. said...

hill street blues?

I swear, I am being careful. Also, I'm invincible, so...I got that going for me.

We should call once you guys stop moving so much.